Our Industry: Where we play
Medidata is making a real difference in the lives of patients everywhere by accelerating critical drug and medical device development, enabling life-saving drugs and medical devices to get to market faster. Our products sit at the convergence of the Technology and Life Sciences industries, one of most exciting areas for global innovation.
We invented the Medidata Clinical Cloud® which is the primary technology solution powering clinical trials for over 90% of the world's top global pharmaceutical and medical-device companies - from study design and planning through execution, management and reporting. We are publicly traded (MDSO), have 850 customers with retention rates at 100% and a revenue run-rate of over $500M in 2017. Our customers include global pharmaceutical companies, biotech, diagnostic and device firms, leading academic medical centers, technical partners and contract research organizations.
Medidata’s solutions have powered over 12,000 clinical trials to date giving us the largest collection of clinical trial data in the world. With this asset, we pioneer innovative, advanced applications and intelligent data analytics, bringing an unmatched level of quality and efficiency to clinical trials enabling treatments to reach waiting patients sooner.
We know that diverse teams win and therefore we are committed to selecting leaders and employees that represent the markets in which we operate. We are still led by our Co-founders, Tarek Sherif and Glen de Vries, and have global operations in US, Europe and Asia with 1,900 employees.
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel APAC (6-month Contract) to be located in Singapore, the successful candidate will report directly to the SVP, Deputy General Counsel, located in New York City, with an equally strong dotted line to the APAC business leaders. The primary function of the role is to support the commercial legal requirements of the company in the Asia Pacific region including Japan, Korea, and China, and Australia, and will require significant commercial contract negotiation with life sciences clients. The Corporate Counsel will also be responsible for dealing with a variety of general corporate and commercial legal issues as they arise, including providing advice and assistance on privacy, labor, corporate and compliance matters. This is a highly autonomous role that will work collaboratively with the sales and finance teams globally. This person will, among other tasks, provide advice and assistance on commercial, privacy, labor, corporate and compliance matters specifically related to this region.
• Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of commercial technology agreements that comply with the company’s policies and risk tolerance. Agreements include software as a service (SaaS), software licenses, service levels and partner/reseller agreements.
• Respond promptly and effectively to legal requests from sales, operations, senior management, marketing, corporate finance and other internal clients, and advise on recommended courses of action and legal risks.
• Advise on anti-corruption/ethics and privacy/data protection questions as they arise and implement recommended courses of action, policies and procedures to comply with compliance requirements in the APAC region.
• Assist with global expansion efforts and foreign subsidiary management related to APAC.
• Support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, policies and legal processes. Manage region specific translated agreements and any changes thereto for compliance with country-specific requirements.
• 5 to 8 years of corporate or commercial legal experience, ideally with prior law firm experience.
• Native-level Chinese mandatory; fluent English, both verbal and written.
• Excellent business understanding, ability to think strategically and give practical advice
• The position is based in Singapore. Work trips may be required.
• Admission to the Singapore or Chinese bar.
• Prior experience supporting a sales force preferred.
• Experience working at a subsidiary of a foreign parent a plus.
Your Education & Experience:
• Prior experience supporting a sales force
• Must have at least 5 years of relevant legal experience and demonstrated success, including a minimum of 2 years in-house experience
• Experience working at a subsidiary of a foreign parent a plus
• Experience working at a software or new technology company (or in the pharmaceutical industry), and drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements.
• Privacy/data protection experience.
Our Culture: Who we are
We know that creativity doesn't happen on-demand. Developing cutting-edge cloud technology takes great minds and talented people working together in a collaborative environment. That is why we are committed to fostering an innovative, agile company culture. We encourage our teams to come together and experiment with new concepts, research new approaches and test out new technologies. We believe that being part of our team will make a difference in the world.
Our Mission: Powering smarter treatments and healthier people.
Our Vision: To be the most innovative cloud company in Life Sciences.
Our Principles: Integrity, Partnership, Inventiveness, Humility, Nimbleness, Tenacity, Inclusiveness, and Caring.
Our Leadership Drivers:
• THINK: Inspires purpose, articulates strategy, and simplifies complexity
• TEAM: Communicates effectively, builds relationships and collaborates with others
• DO: Plans ahead, scales for growth, ensures accountability
• LEARN: Self-aware, values difference, strives to learn
• TEACH: Inspires work, coaches others, builds teams
Medidata Solutions International Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Medidata Solutions provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or other factors that are unrelated to the legitimate business interests of Medidata Solutions.