Mastercard is dedicated to inclusive economic growth of all the world’s citizens across the globe. The mandate of the Government & Development vertical in Mastercard Advisors is to innovate and implement commercially viable digital solutions and business models that transform how civil society, governments, and the private sector improve citizen welfare and drive economic growth. The vertical is comprised of the Government and Humanitarian teams who set global strategy; the Solution Engineering team that implements new solutions; and the in-market Government Business Development team who execute on strategy and drive customer sales through local resources.
The Vice President for Government Sales is responsible for executing our global Government strategy in the South East Asia Division (SEA).
This is a customer-facing role, requiring sales / business development skills, as well as strong execution abilities and cross-functional project management skills. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President Government Business Development, and indirectly to the Head of Market Development SEA; it will be located in Singapore.
• Do you have a passion for working with the public sector to create mutual economic and social gain?
• Do you believe that private sector commercial engagement in emerging economies is critical catalyst for key development outcomes
• Have you ever helped government agencies leverage digital technology to improve efficiency and realize benefits for citizens?
• Do you want to lead a collaborative team that designs and commercializes new solutions for the public sector?
The successful candidate will execute our global Government go-to-market strategy across the markets comprising South East Asia. S/he must closely collaborate with Market Development, Public Policy, Advisors, Account Managers and Product teams to successfully sell Payment Solutions, Consulting Services, Information Services and Managed Services to government agencies and public sector entities.
S/he will identify and prioritize commercial opportunities and maintain the sales pipeline, train local staff on government-focused products & solutions, support complex sales initiatives, and support deployments.
S/he will also provide market insights and Voice of Customer feedback back into the global Government team to ensure that strategy and new product development are aligned with South East Asia objectives.
The individual will also be responsible for supporting relationships and revenue opportunities with international development organizations, donors and capability partners as appropriate to support execution of the Government strategy.
Executes Government strategy in South East Asia
• Customizes the go-to market plan for commercial opportunities in coordination with global Government vertical lead, local Market Development, Public Policy, Advisors and Product teams
• Provides feedback loop into global Government vertical lead and Solution Engineering to highlight product innovation opportunities emerging from his/her division, to ensure product development is locally relevant
• Draws upon competitor intelligence, market insights, Advisors, and other sources of analytical data when creating go-to-market plans
• Recommends and drives relevant market research pertaining to Mastercard government priorities where appropriate (e.g. tourism, financial inclusion, financial literacy, national payments regulations)
• Partners closely with Public Policy to shape discussions with national and regional regulatory bodies
• Acts as thought leader for government solutions in South East Asia; works with Corporate Communications on any relevant PR and speaking opportunities
Provides Sales Enablement for local Business Development and Advisors teams
• Carries Government revenue and volume targets for South East Asia
• Owns and advances the sales pipeline of government opportunities, in partnership with South East Asia Market Development and Advisors teams, and reports regularly into global Government team
• Adapts sales collateral for solution launches in collaboration with Marketing, and delivers sales training to Business Development and Account Teams; supports Business Development and Account Teams in complex sales discussions
• Maintains metrics to monitor and report sales effectiveness
Supports relationship management for International Development Organizations, where appropriate
• Works closely with global Humanitarian team, as well as stakeholders in Public Policy and Enterprise Partnerships, to identify partnership opportunities that will accelerate business opportunities
• Creates cross-functional teams where appropriate to maximize partnership opportunities, and to build new partnerships
All About You
• Track record of successful consultative sales experience in a multi-country environment in the payment industry; experience in consulting or advisory work strongly preferred
• Ability to develop go-to-market plans and champion innovation that drives Mastercard differentiation in the market
• Ability to win stakeholder buy-in, and manage execution against the strategy. Requires organizational resourcefulness and tact to manage multiple initiatives and cross-functional teams within a highly matrixed corporate environment across multiple cultures
• Strong analytical skills, and comfort with decision-making in ambiguous environment with limited information
• Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, track record of excelling at the ‘how?’ as well as the ‘what?’
• Good team leadership skills for application in a virtual cross-functional team environment
• Education: Bachelor's degree, and MBA or graduate degree in STEM subjects or equivalent degree required
• Languages: English required; local languages (Bahasa, Thai, Malaysian, etc.) a plus